I can’t believe how lazy I’ve been making dinners lately. Maybe it’s to do with the fact that I always have to make a non-vegan dinner for my other half and a vegan dinner for myself. But anyway apart from making all sorts of treats I’ve been surviving on nuts and dates in the evenings lately.
Not that there’s anything wrong with nuts and dates but I really want a nice dinner tonight and I might as well have a burger.
A burger you say? Not very healthy is it. Oh well this one is…
I have actually made this burger when I was trying to come up with fancy starter ideas for our Christmas Dinner this year. I was experimenting with sweet potato fritters and came up with this beautiful patty that I then just used as a burger patty and actually as my starter served with spinach and roasted pine nuts.
But back to the burger. I always loved sweet potatoes and while I often have them as chips I thought the idea of having them in a burger instead of as a side was great.
Adding spinach and bell pepper gave them that bit of bite and additional nutrients and serving them with minty peas also added protein.
There is no nasties in this burger except the bun if you consider wheat a nasty but that’s a different topic for a different day.
Overall I just love the way this burger came together with the sweet potato patties the peas and of course that Christmassy cranberry sauce. Obviously you can have cranberry sauce any day but it always reminds me of Christmas. The burger was juicy and tangy and also sweet and made the perfect comfort food dinner or lunch that day.
Thinking back to that and my nut and date dinners I think Ill just make that for myself tonight and start reading that book that I bought over a month ago and haven’t had a chance to read because I am still fighting with that cold which I think is actually a sinus infection as it gives me awful facial pain. Maybe I should just roll up on the couch under my blankie and have a good rest and read that book.
Anyway enough moaning. Here’s the recipe
- 2 smallish sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 bell pepper
- one handful coriander leaves
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 2 burger buns
- one handful spinach leaves
- 1 red onion
- Cranberry sauce
- Grate the sweet potatoes on a coarse grater and chop the bell pepper as finely as you can.
- Squeeze out most of the juices from the sweet potatoes but leave a bit of moisture in.
- Chop the coriander leaves.
- Combine the pepper sweet potatoes and coriander in a bowl.
- Now add the flour and corn flour, salt and pepper and mix everything until evenly combined and a bit sticky.
- Divide the mixture into four and form four flat patties.
- Fry in a shallow pan until cooked through in the middle and crispy on the outside.
- In the meantime chop the mint leaves and combine them with the peas and butter and heat in a small saucepan until the butter has melted and the peas are hot throughout. Do not cook
- Assemble all by starting with the bottom of the bun then the spinach then one burger patty and red onion on top followed by some cranberry sauce and another patty.
- Finish off with dripping pea sauce and the top of the bun