Before I went vegan a little over a year ago I was a vegetarian. I didn’t really cook a lot and most days I was starving after work so Id stuff myself with cheese sandwiches because it was quick and because it was filling. As you might have noticed I have a very sweet tooth and when I was a vegetarian I was also consuming a huuuge amount of chocolate bars. Lets say I wasn’t a healthy vegetarian. My cholesterol level was through the roof and I wasn’t feeling great at all. So then I went vegan and all that changed except my love for chocolate bars. Only shortly after I went vegan I went to do the food shop and for some reason I remember being really stressed and angry and all of a sudden I was at the checkout eyeing up some twix bars. I was very very close to buying one and eating it right there in the shop. But I resisted I remember why I went vegan and I knew Id feel so bad after so I walked out.
You might think I went home and made my own vegan twix bars but I didn’t. My craving has passed and I was ok again. Only months and monthS later I thought I’m sure a vegan twix isn’t too hard to make and off I went to the kitchen. I made my first vegan twix and it wasn’t too bad except the shortcrust biscuit wasn’t great.
So I tried again and this time I think its delicious.
Heres my vegan twix bar. Let me know what you think and if you try it let me know on Instagram by tagging me or leaving a comment here.
- 1/6 cup almond flour
- 1/6 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup brown soft sugar
- 1 tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1/2 vanilla pod scraped out
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1/8 cup cacao butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients and mix in the margarine with your fingers until you have a dough ball, not sticky and not crumbly.
- Line a 6X4' tin with parchment paper and press the dough into it. It will be a thin layer
- bake in the over for about 10-12 minutes
- Pour all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes on a low heat whisking constanty.
- Take off the heat and it should start to thicken up, let it cool
- Cut into 4 bars.
- Melt all ingredients in a saucepan without bringing to a boil. Coat the bars in chocolate and let them cool in the fridge until chocolate is set.